Acquaintance with solar system. By Edgaras Montvila 6D

image_printPrint This 🙂

How often you do you look up to the sky? Wait for the clear weather at night and look at it then you will see thousands of shining stars, right? Some of them are bigger and shine brighter than the others 😯 They are the planets 💡 Let’s take a look at our solar system, shall we? :mrgreen:

The star at the center of solar system is Sun.

Our sun formed approximately 4.6 billion years ago from the gravitational collapse. It is a G-type main-sequence (G2V) based on its spectral class and is informally referred to as a yellow dwarf.The Sun is important source of energy for life on Earth.

The closest planet to the Sun is Mercury.

The smallest solar system planet without satellites. It is named after the Roman deity Mercury, the messenger to the gods. Having almost no atmosphere to retain heat,surface temperature varies from −173°C at night to 427°C during the day.

The second planet to the Sun is Venus.

It is named after the Roman goddess of love and beauty. As the second-brightest natural object in the night sky after the Moon, Venus has been a major fixture in human culture for as long as records have existed, a prime inspiration for writers and poets as the “morning star” and “evening star”. Venus surface temperature varies from −151°C at night to 425°C during the day.

The third planet to the Sun is Earth. 🙄

Earth has one natural satellite: the Moon. Surface temperature varies from −89.2°C to 56.7°C. About 71% of Earth’s surface is covered with water mostly by its oceans. The remaining 29% is land consisting of continents and islands. The majority of Earth’s polar regions are covered in ice. The combination of Earth’s distance from the Sun, physical properties, and geological history has allowed life to evolve and thrive.

The fourth planet from the Sun and the second-smallest planet in the solar system, after Mercury is Mars ( Red planet).

It is named after the Roman god of war. Mars has two relatively small natural moons: Phobos and Deimos. Surface temperature varies from −143°C to 35°C. Mars has two permanent polar ice caps. Planet lost its atmosphere billion years ago. Compared to Earth, the atmosphere of Mars is quite rarefied.

The largest planet in the solar system is Jupiter, the fifth planet from the sun

It is named after the Roman god Jupiter. It is a gas giant planet. Surface temperature varies from 108 °C to?°C. Jupiter has been called the Solar System’s vacuum cleaner, because of its immense gravity well and location near the inner Solar System. It receives the most frequent comet impacts of the Solar System’s planets. Jupiter has 67 satellites. The four largest moons you can see from Earth with binoculars on a clear night. They are Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto.

The second largest planet, after Jupiter in solar system is Saturn, gas giant and the sixth planet to the sun.

The Romans considered Saturnus the equivalent of the Greek god Cronus. Surface temperature varies from –139 °C to ? °C. Saturn is best known for the system ofplanetary rings that makes it visually unique. The particles that make up the rings range in size from specks of dust up to 10m. Saturn has 62 known moons, 53 of which have formal names.

The seventh planet from the Sun is Uranus, the third-largest planetary radius and fourth-largest planetary mass in the Solar system.

Uranus is named after the ancient Greek deity of the sky Uranus, the father of Cronus (Saturn ) and grandfather of Zeus( Jupiter). Surface temperature varies from –197.2 °C to ? °C. Uranus has a ring system. The planet system has a unique configuration among those of the planets because its axis of rotation is tilted sideways, nearly into the plane of its solar orbit. Uranus has 27 known natural satellites.The names of these satellites are chosen from characters in the works of Shakespeare and Alexander Pope. The five main satellites are Miranda,Ariel,Umbriel,Titania, and Oberon.

The eighth and farthest known planet from the Sun is Neptune.

It is named after the Roman god of the sea, identified with the Greek Poseidon. Neptune is not visible to the unaided eye, the fourth-largest planet by diameter, the third-most-massive planet, and the densest giant planet in Solar system. Surface temperature varies from –201 °C to ? °C. Neptune has a planetary ring system, though one much less substantial than that of Saturn. The planet has 14 known moons. Triton is the largest Neptunian moon. The irregular moon Nereid, has one of the most eccentric orbits of any satellite in the Solar System.

Thank you for your attention 😉

What do you think? Leave a reply:)

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.