Modal Phrases for Speculating about Events
Theory and Practical Examples for Learning and Teaching English as a Second Language
Our Students Speculating about events (Aistė and Karolina 8c)
A famous You Tuber named Jake Paul disappeared from Los Angeles in the beginning of this month. A week later, he was found by the local authorities in the infamous Japanese suicide forest, wearing a luxury suit and expensive accessories. The police found some drugs in his pockets as well as a letter, written in some gibberish.
- Have you heard the story about Jake Paul?
- No! What is it about?
- Well, I heard that he committed suicide in Japanese suicide forest after he was reported as missing.
- No way, he was my favorite you tuber! Why would he do that?
- Perhaps, he could have some problems with drug dealers and they might have been exposed him.
- No, that’s unlikely.
- I think he might have been tired of the fame he had.
- Yes, that’s possible!
- What do you think about this case?
- It’s weird because he probably had some health issues and didn’t want everybody to know, so he decided to commit suicide.
- Yes! You’re probably right.
- Have you seen this story about the influencer Jake Paul committing suicide?
- Oh yeah, it’s really creepy! What do you think happened?
- In my opinion, he just used too much drugs.
- No, that’s unlikely…
- He was getting a lot of hate comments on his YouTube videos, so he couldn’t stand it anymore.
- Yes, that’s quite likely, but I think he could have been heartbroken after the break up with another You Tuber Alissa Violet.
- Yes, you’re probably right.
Last week a school shooting took place in California, USA. Ten students were killed and twenty heavily injured.
– Have you heard the story about the school shooting in California?
– Yes, that’s so terrible! What are your thoughts about that?
– Maybe he had some mental health issues?
– No, that’s unlikely! I think he might have been bullied at school and wanted to revenge his bullies.
– Yes, that’s possible, but still not very likely.
– Maybe he had problems with his family?
– Yes, I suppose so!
- Have you heard this story about the school shooting in California?
- No, that sounds horrible! Can you tell me more about it?
- Well, a teenage boy shot a few students in his school.
- Oh, that is even worse that I thought! Why do you think he did it?
- I think he had a huge lack of attention or just wanted to get popular.
- No, that’s crazy! I think he wanted to take revenge on a person who refused him.
- Yeah, that’s quite likely or maybe he might had been triggered by a loss of his close friend or a family member.
- Definitely! That’s most likely why this happened, in my opinion.